Florida firefighter sets record as shortest woman in profession
At 4 feet, 5 inches tall, a Florida firefighter has earned a Guinness World Record for being the shortest woman in the profession.
Kelso has been a firefighter for 5 years in St. Pete Beach, Fla., after spending her 20s working in the corporate world. She said firefighter friends encouraged her to join the local fire department.
"Obviously I didn't become a firefighter thinking that this was going to unfold later down the road — I've been a firefighter for 5 years now, and this was just a joke in the firehouse," Kelso told Guinness World Records.
"One of the guys decided to look it up one day, and realized that I could in fact actually go for this award. We followed the steps, there was a big measuring process, and here we are! It's really just kind of a fun twist of fate, if you will."
Kelso said she doesn't let her height prevent her from doing her job, which entails going into burning buildings, carrying heavy equipment and enduring other extreme conditions. In fact, she said her height makes it easier for her to do some tasks, such as crawling through a window or going into a tight attic space.
"But I get the job done. A lot of the guys around here will call me 'spider monkey' because I'll climb on whatever I need to," she said.
Kelso encouraged others not to let their height prevent them from joining the service.
"Take the risk. Don't let other people define your limits. Firefighting is hard for anybody — mentally and physically. Whether you're 4 feet, 10 inches or 6 feet 3 inches. This career is not easy.
"You're going to be frustrated, probably discouraged some days, but you just have to show up and your willingness to never give up won't go unnoticed."
Vince Brasco holds the record for shortest male firefighter at 4 feet, 2 inches tall.